Friday, February 10, 2012

Usually, I am pretty calm.  Usually, I don't sweat the small stuff.  Usually, I make decisions easily.  But nothing is usual about this experience.

Today we moved from one apartment to another.  Actually back to the first apartment.  It is in an area called Liberty Square.  It is absolutely spectacularly beautify.  Everything here I find beautiful, well, everything except the cold weather.  The architecture is stunning, cathedrals, governmental buildings, apartment buildings.

Back to the move, I slept little last night and woke up filled with anxiety this morning.  I don't know if it is the fact that everything is so unusual and unfamiliar.  Or the fact that even small tasks seem slightly overwhelming.  Or maybe I have just been fooling myself for the past, who knows how many years, and really don't adapt to change well.  What ever it is, for no good reason, I was a nervous nelly today and a bit uptight.  We made the trip via metro (subway) which is always an adventure.  When we exited, we were greeted by the craziest, longest, fastest, tallest escalator I have ever seen.  Seriously, when I looked up at it I literally couldn't see the top.  We made a short walk right through Liberty Square and up the hill to the apartment.

By the time we got there we were hungary and decided that it was time to venture out into a Ukrainian dinning experience.  We found a buffet, which everyone says are a must??  It was our funny for the day, all ordering by pointing and holding up fingers for the count.  Lily went with Borsch and pizza, Jamie still doesn't know what he had.  I had salted cheese in a dough, a chicken and some rice.  All in all, it was good, and very cheap.  Now we are settled in for the night, Lily and Jamie playing cards.  Lily is soundly kicking her daddy's behind.

By the way the crow flies, we are just over the hill from where we were yesterday and just a stones through from the SDA where our selection appointments are.  Our next one is Monday at 2pm.

We did brave the cold to go out and get a few pictures.  I will post them on Facebook later.  I would love to post them here, but since it is all still in Russian, I have no clue how to get them on here.  Sorry Rob, have T pull up Facebook and you can take a look.  Even got some of the parking.

It was very cold today, not just by my standards but by Ukrainian standards.  They even cancelled school today because of the cold.

Who knows what tomorrow will have in store?

3 comments:

  1. At that bottom of your blogspot dashboard, it'll have all the Cyrillic- look for "MOBA" which means language and click on it. You should get a drop down menu that will let you choose "aHlicka"- sorry best I can do right now without switching mine to Cyrillic. If you can't figure it out, we'll show you on Sunday.

    When you tried to call today, did you punch in + 380 99... for my cell? You need the plus sign if you're calling from your cell. For my land line, +380 44... If you're calling from a land line, you just need the last 7 digits for my home; likewise, leave off +3 for the cell.

    TGIF's is up the street- follow Kreshatik south. You'll see a Marks and Spencers on the corner, turn left there and you'll see Friday's. The Patio restaurant is also good. Pyzata Xata is across the street and has traditional Ukrainian food; a few doors up is Shokoladneetsa and they have menus in English. Good food- the hazlenut-chocolate pancake is scrumptious. The big round building there is Bessarabsky Market; in front is a good grocery- Billa. Go down the stairs in front of the market and you'll be in the underground mall which goes for blocks. If you wander around and keep going south, you'll pop out at Metro L'va Tolctogo; it's the blue line and you can ride it back up the street instead of walking to your apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily is eating Borscht?! That is fantastic, tell her I'm proud of her! I will make sure to look at pics, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello...not sure if you remember me but we also were in Ukraine adopting the same time you were (Mike and Misty). We arrived to Kiev on the same plane as you from Germany and then we saw you once more the day of our SDA appt. We have often wondered about your adoption. I am thrilled to see you finally made it home with your new daughter! We adopted a little 6 year old boy who is blind. E mail me if you get this and I can add your e mail to our blog. Lord Bless!
    Misty

    ReplyDelete