Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Gotcha....

Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promises.
                                                                                                                                                 Heb. 10:23
Where to start, where to start...

Leaving the orphanage for the last time.  An orphan no more.
Well it only took 57 days, but we got her!  And for a gotcha day, couldn't have gone much smoother.  It started out looking a like it might get a little rough, but in the end we got everything we need from all of the local officials.  Well, almost...tomorrow morning we have to stop at the head of the local passport office so he can sign the last of the passport documents.  Then we are off on our LAST bus ride...back to Dnipropetrovsk to submit for the passport, YEA!!!  If all goes as planned, we will be on a 5pm train bound for Kiev, YEA!!!

The goodbye at the orphanage was without fanfare.  She was obviously loved by her teachers and caregivers.  They were all there with hugs and words of encouragement.  Each telling me how smart and what a good girl she was.  They were all very happy for her.  Most of the girls from her group were there with hugs of good bye.  It was very sweet to witness.  And before we knew it, we were walking out those orphanage doors...never to return.

This evening I witnessed love in action, real love.  The act of one family giving a child up, in spite of their grief, for the hope of a better life and future.  We went to say goodbye to both grandma's, her aunt and her brother.  Once again, we went to grandma's tiny apartment.  This apartment is smaller than the front room of my house back in Colorado.  A tiny, and I do mean tiny, kitchen, a living room which is grandma's bed room and one bedroom.  It is up 5 flights of stairs in a typical soviet block style building.  The stairway is very dark, very dirty and the 60 steps up can't possibly be negotiated by grandma, she is way to frail.

This family blessed me, not only are they sending Daria off to another land with me, a stranger.  They sent gifts for the other girls, candle holders, picture holder, candy and a Russian doll and some homemade jams and local honey.  They shared stories, asked about our religion, our work.  They talked about who really was the boss...of course it is me, not Jamie.  What else would a house full of women say.  They gave us pictures of Daria and her family from when she was little.  They told us a little about her teeth, watch for wisdom teeth. And the aunt invited us to Moscow for a visit.  When it was time to say goodbye I asked if I could take a picture of each of them with Daria.  While the aunt and that grandma were happy too, the other grandma couldn't bring herself to do it.  It was my pleasure to say goodbye to each of these lovely ladies with a hug and kiss and assurance that Daria would be loved and well cared for.  I also promised that we would stay in touch.  I feel forever connected to them and honored that they trust me so.  It was heart wrenching to watch grandma say goodbye, she was trying so hard to be brave, but her heart was breaking.  I can only imagine...

The others walked downstairs with us.  We take photo's outside, the brother never spoke to me but he was gracious.  I look up and grandma with a scarf on her head, is leaning out an open window...her last goodbye.  I was able to snap a photo of that, Daria will want that some day.  The tears were flowing for all us grown ups, finally aunt and grandma hurry away before the emotion is too much.  As I sit in the back seat of the taxi with Daria, I see one grandma leaning out her window, the other, looking back over her shoulder...goodbye.  That moment forever frozen in my mind.  That was love, it wasn't that she wasn't wanted or loved...it was that they love her so much that they want what is best for her, not themselves.  I am humbled.

Meanwhile, Daria never shed a tear.  I could see the emotion on her face.  But this little girl had made a decision and she was ready to move ahead.  She looked back...I saw her.

We went for our last pizza at our favorite (or Daria's & Annabelle's) pizza place.  Crepes for me, pizza for everyone else.  We walk back to the apartment, Daria prompts Annie first into a backward foot race, then before you know it they are both running full on to the apartment.  Right now the two girls are on the bed, one reading and one playing on the iPod.  Everyone is showered, fed and trying to start to get to know each other.  All three of us have to share a bed tonight, so I guess we will be figuring out each others sleep habits.

Thanks for all the prayers, the tax code thing worked out perfectly.  Not only did it NOT take a week as we were originally told, we got it the same day!  YEA!  Now just keep on praying, if it could go something like that with the passport it would be a grand slam!  Oh, I'm back...even using the sport analogies.  I have been avoiding the sports references...mostly because I am pissed off with the Broncos and the whole Tim Tebow thing...maybe I am with Annabelle...Go JETS!  Just kidding, I will always be a Bronco fan...but no longer an Elway fan.

You probably won't hear from me tomorrow...will be a moving target all day long.  But by Thursday morning we will be settled back at Karen's.

Oh, and this is for you Harry...thanks for following along.  Tell Hollis I am gonna be hungry when I get home...and anxious to get back with all my favorite customers and co-workers.  And Daria seems to be quite the little brainiac and athlete.  Fast in the brain, fast on foot.  Can't wait to see you, we will have to visit over coffee.

Counting...Counting...Counting...Country Road, Take me home...



4 comments:

  1. That emotional send off from the family will be a blessing that you and Daria will carry forward for the rest of life. Thank you Lord for that incredible gift. You have her! She's yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, if you can read that and not cry, there is something wrong! You have really been given a gift of love not only by God, but by her family. That took a lot of love to let her go! God's blessings just keep flowing! God must have BIG plans for her life! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your very heartfelt journey with the world!
    We are new to GP and were there the Sunday GP 'sent you off'.
    I have shed many tears of happiness (and sorrow) with you on this journey. And yes, I cried while reading this one!
    Please keep updating the blog when you are back in CO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think today (Wednesday) was a God day. I am so excited for you guys, I hope Daria remembers me a little. We will be praying for the passport to go well. I think your experience will help many other families when they come to adopt. Looking back I hope it feels like it actually went by quickly. My favorite poem is "Footprints" I hope when we all look back at time that were hard we see only one set of prints

    ReplyDelete