Monday, June 25, 2012

Opposite Extremes

So it has happened...I have now been home longer than I was away, by three days!  Crazy really, so, so much has happened in the past 10 weeks.  In some ways it seems like I have been home for months, in others, I just arrived.  Two worlds, Colorado and Ukraine...separated by 5,646.73 miles.  There are the obvious differences, language, socio-economics, culture, history.  Then there are the "felt" differences.  I can't imagine that there is ever a time of year in Ukraine where you could actually where shorts much less leave your apartment without a jacket.  Really, a hoodie, coat, scarf, gloves, hat and snow boots.  I know they have a real summer, from what I understand the guys break out the "white" shoes.  The men aren't real shorts wearers.  That is how you can pick an American out for sure.  According to the forecast, the hottest day of the week will be on Sunday with a whopping 79 degrees.  They have something in their forecast that we are becoming very unfamiliar with...rain.  But this is what I remember.  An average high of about 27 degrees.




This picture was taken by a friend of mine who was literally
been on the front line for 14 days straight.  These guys are
working 14 on, 12 hours a day with 2 off.


My Reality today...well we are in day number 16 of the High Park fire.  A fire that started outside of Ft. Collins, Colorado and has consumed over 83,000 acres and destroyed 248 homes.  The most in state history and the second largest fire ever in Colorado.  That is only one of 12 fires burning in Colorado today.  This past weekend both my mom and brother-in-law were either evacuated or put on voluntary evacuation.  One in Estes Park, my home town where 22 homes burned to the ground the other in Colorado Springs where an entire community was evacuated as the fire raced its way.  Today we matched the all-time record high for Denver at 105 degrees.  I don't know the exacts, but I think we have had 4 days of 100 or greater in a row with a couple more to come.  

In addition to, the state being on fire.  Here in Johnstown we have lost power 3 times in the past 7 days. They say because of the extreme heat and the demand on power in an attempt to stay cool.  The frustrating part is that it appears that it is limited to about 15 to 20 houses on our street and the one directly behind us.  Frustrating to say the least.  While it certainly isn't good sleeping weather, the real bummer is the food situation.  The bad news, the coolest day of the week is supposed to be Friday at 95 degrees.  If we are lucky it will get down to the high 80's by next Tuesday.  You know it is bad when going to the water park seems like a bad idea because it is to hot...yip, that is where we are at.  

For me the two extremes are so glaringly obvious.  The cold to the bone cold of Ukraine vs. the so hot you don't dare go outside if the sun is till in the sky.  I know, I know, there are many of you out there that live in climates that make Colorado balmy.  We don't have humidity, the firefighters would love some about now.  It does cool down at night, we are at 79 degrees at 11:30pm.  We might get to 68 before sunrise.  But we have had this wicked hot wind blowing.  Feels like it is just sucking every drop of moisture out of your body.  Few, if any clouds...even though last night it rained hard for about 4 minutes.  4 more minutes of rain than we have had in weeks.  So which do I choose...that is tough.  I hate not sleeping.  But I guess I have to choose the heat.  Honestly, if I were comparing the cold of Colorado vs. the heat of Colorado, can't say I would choose the same.  But I remember thinking I may never warm up in Ukraine.  Taking the hottest shower possible just to get the body temperature back up.  Here I put on a cuter summer dress and have a cold beverage and life is good.  Fashion, it wins way to often.

So how are the girls you ask.  Well, I must say...they are fabulous.  Both Lily and Daria have come and gone to camp.  Both had a great time with completely different experiences.  Lily is a bit of a pampered camp, they have showers although they are not heated.  Daria, if she wanted a bath it was the river.  Lily had a bunk with a mattress in a cabin with about 11 other girls.  Daria, a tent, a sleeping bag and a cot.  But it was great for both.  Lily got to hang out at her favorite camp ever.  Daria got to experience the Colorado rockies at their full glory.  A true back country experience.  Lily went zip-lining and mountain climbing.  Daria shot rifles, pistols and a bow an arrow.  Next year they will go to camp together but I also think, if it is offered Daria will attend the Wilderness camp again.  It was all Ukrainian adopted kiddo's.  She was the youngest and apparently the fastest.  She managed to "capture the flag" and lead her team to victory.  She had the war wounds to prove it.

In order for her to go to camp, we didn't get to spend Father's Day together.  She headed to camp that day, so we took the other girls and headed to north east Colorado to the Tiny town of Grover, Colorado.  Population 293.  Each year they host the Earl Anderson Memorial Rodeo.  My dad, a cowboy, real cowboy through and through asked us to come out.  It was hot, it was windy and it was dusty.  I was blowing Grover dust out of my nose for 3 days.  But it was worth it.  Don't remember the last time we spent Fathers Day with my dad.  The best part of the day was the wild horse race at the very end of the day.  Everyone should experience a wild horse race once in their life.  

On the Father's Day note, Daria wrote a sweet card to Jamie that included a "love you" at the end.  That made me smile.  

Daria and Lily can't seem to get enough of the pool.  Can't say as I blame them.  Emma and Jamie have been good sports in taking them almost daily.  However yesterday I had to impose the "don't ask again or you won't go today or tomorrow" rule.  We are still working through the repetitive nature, ask, ask again, ask yet again...and again.  

Last night when the power went out, it was about 8pm.  The teenagers, including Emma's boyfriend Tommy were watching a movie.  We were all a bit frustrated that it had happened again, but they were amazing.  They all started playing life with headlamps on their heads.  They included the little girls as well.  But before long they were looking for the portable DVD player...the plan?  Watch movies in the car.  Which they did, minus the little girls.  They sat on the front porch with me, did some chalk drawing in the garage and called it a night.  Made me smile seeing the others in the van with their pillows and blankets...who needed a blanket in 100 degree weather.  Hint, hint....starts with an "A".

Tonight, we lost power again.  This time only or an hour or so.  Long enough to force us out for dinner.  I went to meet some friends in town, the big girls headed to the mall and Jamie took the little ones and headed to Subway.  I think I got the long straw on the night.  Great to hang out with old friend, old as in I have know them a long time, not old as in, well...old.  

When I got home the girls were huddled up on the couch watching The Lion King.  First time I have seen it, Daria cried when the dad died.  Real tears, very sweet.  

Well, last night I got about 4 hours of sleep.  It is already mid-night and I am working tomorrow.  Best get to bed.  As I go to sleep tonight I will be going back in time, some 20 weeks ago.  The cold, the uncertainty, the confusion and I will be thanking God for where I am today, the opposite extreme.  

1 comment:

  1. Is it awful to rejoice that she cried?! Bless her heart, she has come such a long way!!

    ReplyDelete