Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Soothe My Soul

Ok Susie...this is for you!

For the past three years Lily has been blessed to be able to attend Camp Timberline.  I am not biased or anything, but it is simply the BEST Christian based sport & mountain adventure camp ever.  We didn't think she was going to be able to go this year.  I tried to sign her up while I was in Ukraine, to my surprise the were already full.  Our only hope was to put her on the waiting list.  On May 29 I got an email notifying me that she was still on the wait list for session one that would start on June 7.  But again to my surprise, on on June 1st there was a packet waiting in the mail stating that "they would see Lily on June 7."  She was thrilled, I was thrilled.

Today I made the drive to pick her up.  The drive in and of its self is an amazing thing for me.  I don't think I could ever tire of the drive up "the canyon."  From our house it is about an hour and 15 minutes or so.  It starts out as a highway drive but quickly transitions into a mountain drive...my favorite kind of drive.  I love the twists and curves.  I love showing all those flat-landers how it's done.  It is a game, a challenge really.  Too bad I have to drive a Honda Odyssey mini van.  Not bad when that mini van shows that Mercedes how it's done.  Sad to say that I had to follow a Lotus down...couldn't help but think about how much fun it would be to drive a machine like that up the canyon, down might be somewhat of a let-down

Those of you who are familiar with the drive from Lyons to Estes Park know that it is an elevation gain of over 2,000 feet in just about 20 miles.  It is curvy, and for those of us who grew up driving these roads...it is fun.  My favorite view of possibly all time is when I crest the hill at Pole Hill.  The mountains, nowhere are they more spectacular.  As I make my way down to the lake I decide that today it might be fun to "cut the corner."  That is, take Fish Creek Road rather than go up and take Highway 7...the usual and typically preferred route.  I went past Whispering Pines Drive, past Carriage Hills, past that grueling "hill workout" from days gone by and track practice.  The golf coarse...so many crazy memories surround that road.  Most are sweet, some I am just glad to have lived to talk about them.   It was a great, yet brief trip down memory lane.  Glad I took it.  Many faces flashed before my eyes, many dates in time as well.

Anyway, back to picking Lily up.  Something about walking through the woods just soothes my soul.  In the midst of chaos, I find peace.  So thankful that Lily got to spend 6 nights living in the shadow of Longs Peak.  Someday we must climb it...she must climb it.  Me, maybe I am cresting that place of being to old, too many body aches and pains, or just a big chicken.  But maybe....

After getting Lily we started the trip back home.  We headed down Highway 7 back towards Estes Park.  Many of you know about the High Park fire.  Now at over 46,000 acres, that is bigger than Washington D.C..  More than 1,200 personal fighting the fire.  I was so relieved to be out of the smoke area at camp.  No watering eyes, no head ache.  The smoke has been thick at our house and we are some 60 miles away from the fire.  Word has it that this fire has been reported on as far away as Europe.  Anyway, we got an interesting view of the fire from Highway 7.  Seems like no matter where we go, there it is.  This thing is massive, destructive and apparently a beast to fight.  After 4 days, still only 10% contained.  That means 90% out of control.  On our journey home, for the first time the orange flame were visible.  Ugly black billowing smoke with an orange under belly.  Pray for the fire fighters, this is a dangerous fire and the work they do is often thankless.  It is dirty, it is hot and it is physically taxing beyond what most of us could even imagine.



As for camp, Lily had a great time.  The only thing I ever ask of her is to do something that scares her every single day.  They have zip lines, high ropes courses, giant cable swings called the "gut chuck,"  they go on very long hikes...8 miles with a group of 10 year olds. Just the thought is scary to me.  They get launched from the "blob" in to an icy cold lake.  Take the ultimate slip and slide ride down a hill side into that same lake.  They play crazy games, explore Gods creation and learn about their chosen sport.  For Lily, that is tennis.  She was exhausted and energized all at the same time.

At the end of the week they give each kid what they call a "cq" or character quality award.  This year Lily got Leader and Encourager.  She had a great time bonding with her cabin mates and her counselors.  Funny thing, one counselors family adopted a boy from Russia a year ago.  There home date was April 13 of 2011 ours was April 13, 2012.  Another counselor went to Ukraine last summer on a mission trip...God has such a lovely way of bringing these little things together.

What I realize, after having our family so segmented this past winter...I hate it when we aren't all together.  Lily is so vibrant, so full of energy and life that the house was so oddly quiet while she was gone.  I didn't like it.  I like having my girls near me, even if they fight and bicker.

Next year, Daria and Lily will attend session one together.  Can't wait.

Daria will leave on Sunday afternoon for a wilderness camp specially designed for Ukrainian kids.  She isn't entirely thrilled about it, not sure what to expect.  And since I have never been, I don't have much help to offer her.  I do think it will be good for her, I also think she will enjoy it.

Life in the Degnan life just keeps on keepin on.  Emma is hobbling around in a big ugly black boot, stress fracture in her foot.  Annabelle has her nose buried in books a good portion of the time.  She did pull herself away long enough to head to the pool with some friends today.  Lily, well you already know what she has been up to.  Just add softball on to it, a season of only one loss.  Daria is glad to have Lily home, her play buddy is back.  The big girls are glad too.  They have been good sports but are about worn out of playing wii, ping pong, going for walks and to the pool.  Yesterday I asked Daria to come up with a name to call me.  Dangerous territory right?  Not really, she still has nothing to call me.  Not mom, not Tiffany, not "hey you with the blonde hair."

Beyond that, not much happening.  I am including some pictures of our summer to date.  A few road races, a few weddings and some general Degnan family fun.
Berthoud Habitat for Humanity 5k.  Lily finished 2nd in her division.  Emma won hers and finished as second overall female.  Daria was the 1st place female in the kids 1k.  Not bad for the Degnan's!
For me, a couple of observations.  After picking Lily up today, it was kind of a mad dash.  Had to be at her softball game by 5:30 and didn't leave Estes until 3:30.  But there was something about walking through the woods.  The smells, the huge pine trees surrounding me...I just wanted to stay there, soak it all up.  Yet when I got to the ball field, just walking through the grass, making my way to the bleachers again just soothed my soul.  I am constantly reminded of where I was and where God has brought me.  I still find myself relishing each and every experience.  I talk to folks, hear how hot it has been in Ukraine.  I can't quite get my head around it.  I can't imagine leaving Karen's apartment with anything less than a coat.  It was so cold there, in my head, it is always cold there.  Gods faithfulness is still astounding to me.  I am so thankful, so blessed!
Lily loving the swing at a rare wedding where we were guests and caterers.  Beautiful setting right on the river.

Showing some Ukrainian Pride n

1 comment:

  1. You are a very interesting writer! I enjoy your blog very much, because I rarely get to see you all!
    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete